We often hear of negative calorie foods, but what does that mean? The name may be misleading. Negative calorie foods are not foods that hurt our bodies. These foods have very few calories, so few that they become negative if we consider the energy that the body uses for chewing and digestion. In practice, we can eat and feel full without getting fat.
Every time we chew, ingest and digest the body is subjected to energy expenditure and consequently consumes calories. It is a process that affects the total calories we send out every day. Negative calorie foods are so low in calories that they cannot even out this process that requires more calories.
Even if negative calorie foods have been identified, it should be specified that the activity related to digestion varies according to the combinations and quantities of foods that are consumed. It is also linked to the parameters of the individual and his habits.
Let’s see What Foods Have Negative Calories
- The water. It is the food par excellence, indispensable for our survival. Perhaps not everyone knows that it needs calories to be absorbed and sorted.
- Apples. In 100 grams of apple we find about 50 calories, more or less the same amount that the body uses to chew and digest them. Eating apples therefore means taking antioxidants, vitamins and minerals without adding calories.
- Rocket. It is a vegetable rich in folic acid, vitamin K, potassium and calcium. In 100 grams of rocket there are 28 calories, the same that are used to chew and digest it.
- Asparagus. The calories used by the digestive process are many more than those that can be ingested. In 100 grams of asparagus there are only 20 calories.
- Beets. In 100 grams of this root we have only 43 calories.
- Broccoli. We find just over 30 calories in 100 grams. The digestive process requires many more.
- Brussels sprouts. Another food with negative calories: just over 40 in 100 grams.
- Cabbage. Even less calories are contained in the cabbage, just 25 in 100 grams.
- Vegetable or chicken broth. A cup of broth contains very few calories: between 7 and 12.
- Carrots. There are 40 calories in 100 grams, if we consume them raw the caloric impact of chewing and digestion is virtually zero.
- Cauliflower. It is one of the most important plants for our well-being and boasts just 25 calories in 100 grams.
- Celery. Just 20 calories in 100 grams, it is better to consume it raw if you want to achieve a zero calorie impact.
- Beet. It is even low in calories, only 19 in 100 grams, but is rich in vitamin K.
- Clementines. They are a source of vitamin C and contain 47 calories in 100 grams. Considering the digestive process they are practically zero calorie impact.
- Fennel. Just 30 calories in 100 grams. This is also one of the foods with negative calories that must be eaten raw to ensure that the caloric impact is zero.
- Cucumbers. As they are mostly made of water, they have only 14 calories in 100 grams.
- Grapefruits. Rich in antioxidants, they count only 42 calories in 100 grams.
- Mushrooms. They contain mineral salts, but only 22 calories, always in 100 grams.
- Onions. Red, golden or white, they all boast 40 calories in 100 grams.
- Peppers. Rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, they boast only 40 calories in 100 grams.
- Papaya. This food also has an intake of 40 calories in 100 grams.
- The radishes. They contain a lot of potassium, but only 16 calories in 100 grams. To have a negative caloric impact, they must be eaten raw.
- Lettuce. It is a strong moisturizer that contains just 15 calories in 100 grams.
- Strawberries. They boast only 35 calories in 100 grams.
- Spinach. They are among the most important vegetables for our body, 100 grams contain only 23 calories.
- Tomatoes. If eaten raw between chewing and digestion, they have no impact on calories, considering that they contain only 20 in 100 grams.
- Courgettes. Perfect in every dish they contain very few calories: 13 in 100 grams.
Precisely because of their characteristics, foods with negative calories are included in food diets when you want to lose weight. They are particularly suitable for snacks.